What To Know About Business Envelope Size
Despite what you may think, there is not simply one business envelope size. Therefore, it’s important to choose the right size that fits the mail you’re sending and makes a good impression on your recipients. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about business envelope size!
The Usual Business Envelope Size
If you’re wondering about which of the following is the usual business envelope size, we’re happy to let you know that the #10 envelope is typically the most common business envelope size, although a few sizes are used frequently. Before thinking about specific types of envelopes, be aware that all envelope sizes are generally measured with the flap of the envelope folded down.
The Most Common Business Envelope Sizes
There is a small number of standard business envelope sizes. The most common sizes include:
- #10 Envelope. The #10 envelope is 9.5x4.125. This envelope size is perfect for sending a tri-folded 8.5x11 size piece of paper, brochure, or letter.
- #9 Envelope. The #9 envelope is 8.875x3.875. This is commonly known as a Business Reply Envelope (BRE), and it can be enclosed inside a #10 envelope and used to reply to the original letter. Customers can mail payments, order forms, or any other important correspondence using #9 envelopes.
- 6x9 Envelope. The 6x9 envelope is the perfect size to mail an 8.5x11 piece of paper that has been folded in half.
- 9x12 Envelope. The 9x12 envelope size is the perfect dimension to enclose an unfolded piece of 8.5x11 paper, so it will arrive without any creases.
- 10x13 Envelope. When you need an even larger envelope, the 10x13 envelope size has you covered. This size works well for sending envelopes, certificates, and many other larger paper sizes. It is also great to enclose standard pocket folders, which are typically 9x12 and may contain additional marketing materials or forms.
How To Choose A Business Envelope Size
Now that you know a bit about the most common envelope sizes, let’s talk about how to choose the envelope that works best for you.
Form Follows Function
The first piece of information to think about is the envelope’s main purpose. To simplify business communications, consider choosing envelopes with a window, which is an open area in the front of the envelope where you can see the address printed on the paper inside. This eliminates the need to address every envelope, since the address on the letter acts as the address for the envelope as well.
Leave Some Extra Space
We all like to have our own space, and so do your business envelopes. When picking a business envelope size, remember to choose an envelope that is slightly larger than the dimensions of the paper you’ll be sending. That way, you can be assured that your paper will fit into the envelope without any problems.
Alternatives to Business Envelopes
It’s worth noting that business envelopes aren’t the only envelopes you can choose. If you are sending invitations or note cards, announcement envelopes, which typically have a square flap, are better suited for this purpose than the business sizes. As always, consider what size the printed enclosures will be and make sure you pick an envelope that is big enough.
Typical announcement envelope sizes include:
- A2 envelope, which is 5.75x4.735 and will hold A2 cards (5.5x4.25)
- A6 envelope, which is 6.5x4.75 and will hold A6 cards (6.25x4.5)
- A7 envelope, which is 7.25x5.25 and will hold A7 cards (7x5)
- A8 envelope, which is 8.125x5.5 and will hold A8 cards (7.875x5.25)
- A9 envelope, which is 8.75x5.75 and will hold A9 cards (8.5x5.5)
- A10 envelope, which is 9.5x6 and will hold A10 cards (9.25x5.75)
If you are ordering envelopes for folded note cards, consider the card size after folding. For example, the open size of an A6 Note card is 6.25x9, but after folding it is 6.25x4.5. Therefore, the A6 envelope size is the best fit for this card.
If you’re looking for further variation, you can also order baronial envelopes, also known as BAR envelopes, which have pointed flaps.
The typical sizes of baronial envelopes are:
- 4 BAR envelope, which is 5.125x3.625 and will fit a 4 BAR card (4.875x3.375)
- 5 BAR envelope, which is 5.75x4.375 and will fit a 5 BAR card (5.5x4.25)
- 6 BAR envelope, which is 6.5x4.75 and will fit a 6 BAR card (6.25x4.5)
- Lee Envelope, which is 7.25x5.25 and will fit a Lee card (7x5)
Lastly, there are oversized envelopes:
- Catalog Envelope (the flap is located on the short edge), which can be 6x9, 9x12, or 10x13
- Booklet Envelope (the flap is located on the long edge), which can be 6x9, 9x12, or 10x13
Once you have decided which envelope size is best for you, the next factor is deciding on the color. White is the most commonly used color for envelopes, but some companies choose a colored envelope instead. Colored envelopes may or may not be available in different sizes. Contact a ZoePrint.com representative to learn about your options for envelope colors.
Order Your Custom Envelopes From ZoePrint!
When you are ready to begin printing, upload your fantastic envelope design to ZoePrint.com or have one of our professional designers create an original design just for you! There is a large variety of business envelope size options, so you’ll be printing the perfect envelopes for your mail in no time.
Click here to see pricing for our cheap envelopes, or request a custom quote to get started!